Vet qa parent

Are rhododendron plants toxic to dogs?

Are rhododendron plants toxic to dogs?

Our question this week was:

Doctor – are rhododendron plants toxic to dogs?

Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote asking rhododendron plants are toxic to dogs? The answer is… yes, they can be. However, they are considered relatively mild although some dogs can be severely affected.

Ingestion of rhododendrons generally causes drooling and sometimes vomiting. Basically they cause oral irritation. Some pets can develop severe vomiting and diarrhea. Generally, the treatment is supportive – with fluid therapy and medications to control vomiting. Most dogs recover fine with supportive care.

An article that might be helpful to you is Toxic Plants.

Best of luck!

Doctor

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Doctor Questions and Answers!

(?)

(?)